Re: RDF-star use cases from Amazon Neptune

On 03/12/2021 12:22, thomas lörtsch wrote:

> Am 3. Dezember 2021 11:40:10 MEZ schrieb Pierre-Antoine Champin <pierre-antoine.champin@ercim.eu>:
>> On 03/12/2021 09:23, Dan Brickley wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, nice and concrete!
>>>
>>> What if Alice were Elizabeth Taylor, and Bob were Richard Burton
>> great minds think alike... here is the example I recently proposed for
>> addition in the spec:
>>
>> https://pr-preview.s3.amazonaws.com/w3c/rdf-star/pull/225.html#married-example

> You use a new property :occurrence instead of :occurrenceOf in the example before that example. Is there a reason for that?

The most obvious reason is that they have the quoted triple in different
position (subject/object), so they can't be the same relation. Another
reason is that I am not at all convinced that, even regardless of the
direction, these would be the same relation (a long discussion [1] has
taught me that this was a nasty can of worm).

> Also you use the abbreviated syntax.
Indeed. My point was to show that this is not only possible, but can be
expressed in a relatively painless way (which is, of course, quite
subjective).
>   It might be helpful to use the un-abbreviated syntax in all examples except one section where the abbreviated syntax is explained.
I see your point but for me the pros (see above) outweigh the cons.
> Your example does however show that the abbreviated syntax doesn't make anything better w.r.t. the wikidata usecase.
>
> The way wikidata models this is arguably even more horrible.
How can my example "not make it better" if the wikidata model is "more
horrible"?? :->
>   It is an ordered list with marriages of Richard Burton. Each marriage is a list entry which could be a blank node, etc. Elisabeth Taylor presumably has her own list of marriages and nothing but ardent querying connects the two lists I suppose.
>

>> and that was before reading Ora's use-cases... ;)
> The wikidata use case has been part of the RDF* use cases for a year now, or two?
> Of course that classical example has been around for a while... But it
> found it funny that Dan mentioned it just when I integrated it in the
> report. Indulge me.
> Maybe it would be helpful to name this problem properly - not "wikidata usecase" but rather "multiset problem", or "multiset use case"?

what's wrong with "Wikidata usecase"? At least it is explicit...

As for the particular example, I think that "the Taylor-Burton example"
should do the trick.

   pa

[1] https://github.com/w3c/rdf-star/issues/169

>>> https://m.wikidata.org/wiki/Q151973