Re: Annotation syntax [was: SPARQL* test suite]

Hi David,

On måndag 7 september 2020 kl. 11:07:20 CEST David Booth wrote:
> On 9/7/20 3:42 AM, Olaf Hartig wrote:
> > On lördag 5 september 2020 kl. 18:19:40 CEST Jos De Roo wrote:
> >> Am not really close to this discussion, but still, I tried to implement
> >> things in N3 and it
> >> appears to me that:
> >> {:a :b :c} :p :o. could be SA mode
> >
> > No. This is a statement about a graph, where this graph happens to consist
> > of a single triple (:a, :b, :c). In contrast, RDF* (no matter which of
> > the two modes) is about making statements about individual triples.
>
> But this is an unfortunate limitation of RDF*.  It is much more useful
> and general to be able to annotate multiple statements at once, as can
> be done in N3.   I think this is an important limitation to correct
> prior to any standardization.

I am not sure what exactly you mean by annotating "multiple statements at
once." I assume you are talking about annotations for a set of RDF triples
(which, by definition, is an RDF graph). If that's what you want, then you can
use N3 I guess. RDF* is not meant to be used for that; instead, RDF* is meant
to be used in cases in which we want to have annotations on the level of
individual triples rather than on the level of a graph as a whole. Think of it
from the perspective of Property Graphs where you have the notion of edge
properties (key-value pairs associated with a particular edge). To me, such an
edge property is something different than a property / key-value pair that I
may be able to associate with the graph as a whole (even if the graph contains
only one edge). Similarly, annotations on the level of individual triples are
something different then annotations on the level of a set of triples (at
least for me). For the latter we have things such as N3, and RDF* is for the
former.

Best,
Olaf