Re: Keep mode explici [Re: Annotation syntax]

On 7/09/2020 16:09, Pierre-Antoine Champin wrote:
>>> +1. I like this analogy. Probably RDF+ can confused some of us using RDFS+
>>> (as a profile to do reasoning). What about saying RDF* when you support
>>> both SA and PG (like OWL Full), then RDF*-XX (XX = SA or PG) if someone
>>> supports just one of them?
>> +1
>
> I think that an even better way to /not/ confuse people would be to
> get rid of modes altogether! To quote Pat Hayes on this list in a
>
> > these are not two ‘modes’ but two languages, indistinguishable in
> syntax but with different semantics. That is a truly terrible idea.
>
> One benefit that I saw in the discussion about "annotation syntax" was
> to propose a different syntax for the "PG-mode use cases", which would
> have allowed us to keep the original syntax (<< >>) exclusively for
> the "SA-mode use cases" -- but maybe I was misinterpreting.
>
> So if really there is a consensus that << >> should be interpretable
> in two different ways depending on the "mode",

No, there is no consensus for that. << ... >> would always represent a
triple node that may be subject or object of an RDF* triple, and this
triple node exists regardless of whether the actual triple is also
asserted in the graph or not. The additional syntax would only add an
optional shortcut notation for two statements at once, see previous
emails. Definitely no different "modes" here, but SA mode allows more
graphs than PG mode.

Holger