Re: Annotation syntax [was: SPARQL* test suite]

On 02/09/2020 09:25, Olaf Hartig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On onsdag 2 september 2020 kl. 17:44:06 CEST Holger Knublauch wrote:
>> On 2/09/2020 15:41, Patrick J Hayes wrote:
>>> Jeen and Holger, greetings.
>>>
>>> It seems to me that there is a more basic issue here. However it is
>>> written, if this maps to an RDF graph containing the triple
>>>
>>> :bob :age 23 .
>>>
>>> then that triple is /asserted to be true/, and that assertion of truth
>>> is independent of any other triples, be they called ‘annotations’ or
>>> not. Adding a triple to an RDF graph cannot change or modify the
>>> asserted truth of any other triple in the graph, even if it refers to
>>> it. This follows from the monotonicisty of the underlying semantics.
>>
>> [...]
>> It seems that the topic you raise applies to RDF* in general, not just
>> this particular syntax extension here in this thread.
>
> Right, but only if we make the PG mode assumption for RDF* graphs. In SA mode
> we don't have this issue.

We could view it as no different from nonsensical data modelling.

There is also the annotation with range in wikidata or other pair of
related statements:

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-star/2020Jun/0006.html

As you can get into the same situation in SA mode, it is there really,
just not automatically by writing the :certainty triple.

     Andy

> Olaf
>
> PS. For everyone who has joined the list recently and wonders what SA mode and
> PG mode are, the following earlier email should give you an answer:
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-star/2019Sep/0051.html

Good reminder.

For completeness this issue has come up before:
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-star/2019Sep/0052.html