Re: Anyone working on an extension to SWRL to handle RDF*?

Dear Finn,

I was very interested in reading about your idea about having rules on
top of RDF*. I work in the N3 community group where we aim to propose a
standard for N3, another rule-language for the semantics web. N3 already
supports citation of graphs (not triples as RDF*).

In N3 you can express triples including graphs

     {:man :hasSpouse :woman} :startDate "1970-01-01"^^xsd:date .

and you can write rules on top of your triples like for example:

     { {?P1 :hasSpouse ?P2} :startDate ?D } *=>* { {?P2 :hasSpouse ?P1}
:startDate ?D}.

This rule applied to the previous triple would actually result in

     {:woman :hasSpouse :man} :startDate "1970-01-01"^^xsd:date .

We would like to align with RDF* but it will also depend on RDF*'s
semantics whether we can assume that cited N3 graphs containing one
single triple are actually the same as RDF* expressions, i.e. whether

{:man :hasSpouse :woman} :startDate "1970-01-01"^^xsd:date . and <<:man
:hasSpouse :woman>> :startDate "1970-01-01"^^xsd:date .

have the same meaning. If that will be the case, the derivation you
propose is already supported by N3. Otherwise, we need to see how these
constructs relate.

If you want to play with N3, you can try our online tutorial of N3:
https://n3.restdesc.org/
In the tutorial there are different reasoning windows which actually
call the EYE reasoner (http://eulersharp.sourceforge.net/) in the
background. So, if you want a first try, you can add your facts and
rules and press "Execute EYE". If you would like to include OWL-RL, you
can find the rules here:
http://eulersharp.sourceforge.net/2003/03swap/eye-owl2.html

Of course that is not RDF* yet, but when the semantics is fixed we plan
to improve here.

Kind regards,
Doerthe

--