Re: How is RDF* supposed to work with Linked Data?

Olaf Hartig <olaf.hartig@liu.se> writes:

> Within the context of a particular application, you can certainly use
> (single- triple) Named Graphs as a vehicle to capture statement-level
> metadata / annotations for individual triples. You simply have to
> decide that this is what you use Named Graphs for in your application.
>
> The caveat is that, by making this decision, there is no
> straightforward way anymore for your application to also store and
> query graph-level metadata (in addition to the statement-level
> metadata). In contrast, if you were using Named RDF* Graphs, you would
> not have this limitation.

It seems to me this amounts to using the fourth column as a statement
identifier. Every so often this idea comes up in the corridor here in
Edinburgh. You can certainly build up groups of statements with these
identifiers. You can also make statements about these groups of
statements.

1 alice likes apples.
2 bob likes potatoes.

3 saf a group.
4 saf label "statements about food".
5 saf member 1.
6 saf member 2.

7 2 is false.

No problem.

I think you only get a problem when you have blank nodes and start
thinking about their scope, or lack of. But this is always a problem
anyways.

Best wishes,

William Waites CEng MIET | wwaites@inf.ed.ac.uk
Institute for Language, Cognition and Computation
School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.