Re: RDF* vs RDF vs named graphs

Pierre-Antoine,

you’re completely missing the point.

> On 17. Dec 2020, at 14:54, Pierre-Antoine Champin <pierre-antoine.champin@ercim.eu> wrote:
>
> Peter,
>
> in issue #64 (https://github.com/w3c/rdf-star/issues/64) you wrote:

From this sentence

> > central examples have fatal flaws if embedded triples are unique

you only take the first half and then go one to show how the "regrettable", "unfortunate" examples can be saved to fit your semantics. You introduce new blank nodes and indirections as if the authors didn’t know what they are doing and had to be tought basic RDF modelling skills. You even replace well-established properties by something you invented ad-hoc with a condiserably different meaning. All the examples rather obviously understand embedded triples as occurrences but you consequently treat them as wrongly modelling unique triples.

Notwithstanding the lack of respect and the patronizing attitude, what you actually show is that the semantics you propose don’t cover those usecase. Which is the point that has repeatedly been made. Calling that a possible misuse of RDF* is, well, an interesting perspective. My fear is that the world will not bend to your semantics and that the ensuing muddle will not profit anybody.

This is not to say that there is no case for unique triples: there is and not long ago I was overly focused on the annotation usecase that understands them as occurrences. But both usecases are vaild, widely used and advertized as to be solved by RDF*. Property graphs can do both without saying as they have no semantics, but in RDF they have to be catered for.

And one last thing: if you insist on only covering the unique triples reading then you should drop everything reification related. Drop SA mode and drop the new node type because what you are really doing is defining semantic sugar for n-ary relations, and those are covered by rdf:value.

:a :b :c {| :d :e |}

is then syntactic sugar for

:a :b [
  rdf:value :c ;
  :d :e
]

That has a clear unique triple semantics, true to the flat world ideal of RDF. It would spare us a whole lot of trouble and avoid any confusion. It would not cover the annotation usecase and anything that requires a bit more complexity than the simplistic base of RDF but since you’re not planning to actually support that anyways, why not at least be honest about it!

Of course it would be a wasted opportunity but since you and Olaf seem to be so heavily inclined…

Thomas