Re: RDF* semantics

On 9/2/19 7:01 AM, thomas lörtsch wrote:
>> On 2. Sep 2019, at 11:15, Pierre-Antoine Champin <pierre-antoine.champin@univ-lyon1.fr> wrote:
>>
>> Dear Thomas,
>>
>> I have to strongly disagree with you.
>>
>> On Fri, 30 Aug 2019 at 18:16, thomas lörtsch <tl@rat.io> wrote:
>>> We are on the Semantic Web here which in general is not aiming at such subtleties. The semantics of identification in RDF are vague at best. Does https://paris.com refer to the website or the city?
>> The semantics of identification is *not* vague. It is precisely defined in the RDF Semantics [1] specification. You can also refer to the RDF Concepts [2] spec, section 1.3. It clearly talks about "the resource denoted by an IRI" (note the *singular* use of "resource").
> But you have heard of "social meaning", right?

Hi Thomas,

Comments follow...

>> I'm not saying that it is always easy to decide what exactly an IRI identifies. Especially with HTTP IRIs, which intuitively identify web resources (i.e. digital objects) rather than persons or city. There has been a long controversy [3] in the community about that, but it has been settled. For example, http://dbpedia.org/resource/Lyon identifies a city, while http://dbpedia.org/page/Lyon identifies the HTML document describing that city.
> I wasn’t aware of that settlement.

Using HTTP URIs to identify anything has always been in place. Confusion
arises due to stylistic preferences.

For instance, despite the popularity (an my personal proximity) to
DBpedia, http://dbpedia.org/resource/Lyon (identifies a Place) and
http://dbpedia.org/page/Lyon (identifies a document about Lyon, the
Place) aren't my goto examples.

My goto example would be based on leveraging the indexical prowess of
"#" which is why I tend to share examples inline of the form:

@prefix : <#> .

:this :relatedTo :that .

The identities of what's denoted by the sentence subject, predicate, and
object are implicitly unambiguous due to the nature of HTTP URIs
courtesy of the "#" indexical. I even have a complete tutorial about
this matter that can be run from anywhere [1
<https://medium.com/openlink-software-blog/simple-linked-data-deployment-tutorial-a532e568c82f>].

DBpedia offers a pattern for scenarios where disambiguation is achieved
without a "#" indexical while still using an HTTP URI.

> I don’t think it ends the debate about how to disambiguate denotation from indication on the semantic web in general.

An HTTP URI combines denotation and connotation in a single identifier,
that's its superpower :)

This issue has indeed been closed, but general understanding and
acceptance has remained stubbornly mercurial.

> Note also that further scrutiny (or zealotry?) could demand to disambiguate the web page from the web site, the historic city center from some modern times administrative area etc etc. Note also that the other examples I gave are still unresolved. So, the semantics of RDF are vague in contrast to the subtle differentiations that natural language can express and they’ll always be.

Natural Language is much vaguer than Logic. RDF is about logic (never
English) and it isn't vague about denotation. Confusion does arise (for
reasons explained above) when RDF is deployed using Linked Data
principles (where HTTP URIs come into play).

[SNIP]

>>> If I wasn’t too lazy I would now check the RDF specifications as I’m sure there’s citable proof that blank nodes in RDF are not a means to speak about the shere existance of certain things
>>>
>> RDF Semantics [1],  section 5.1, first sentence:  "Blank nodes are treated as simply indicating the existence of a thing".
>> You couldn't have chose better words -- except for "not", obviously ;-)

Blank Nodes are Indefinite Pronouns. From my vantage point, Olaf jumped
to conclusions about my initial examples by not seeking clarification
about the nature of  predicates used in my sentence examples. That said,
he might have taken that liberty based on the subject of the thread
itself etc..

Personally, I think stating the nature of a predicate used in a sentence
example is extremely important with regards to clarity regarding  both
intention and intuition (that follows).

> No, because you are missing the most important word in that sentence: "simply" :-) This precisely tries to convey the intuition that one shouldn’t interpret too much into blank nodes. RDF is much to simple, simplistic even, to carry the meatphysical load that you and Olaf want it to carry. Blank nodes are used as existential quantifiers with all the logical consequences that come with it but they are also used as mere anchor points to collect a few properties of something that is not meant to get its own URI. A good example is
>  :Bob :hasAdress [ :street "abc-street 1"; :city "Hometown"; :zip 12345 .]

Yes, but your example is always going to be clearer if you state the
nature of :hasAddress (the predicate in your sentence) too i.e., state
its rdfs:domain and rdfs:range .

> Usually nobody would want to get philosophical about that blank node and the sort of existential questions that can arise from it. In other situations they are used exactly for the purpose of discussing existential questions of existance. It depends. I’d say Postels law - "Be liberal in what you accept…" - applies here in slightly modified form: "Be liberal in what you expect a blank node to express". Or, in other words: curb your enthusiasm ;-)
>
> Olaf’s initial critique of Kingsley’s proposal already showed the difficulties that arise when we interpret too much in RDF structures: he interpreted the blank node in the object position different from the blank node in the subject position of Kinglsey’s example.

Yes, but I shouldn't have started with a riddle i.e., I too could have
just stated the rdfs:domain and rdfs:range of the predicate used in my
examples.

Olaf did make a bit of a leap, initially. That said, the topic was about
reification which could be acceptable justification for the leap.

>  It only got worse from there when he drew a conclusion about the range of :claims - the slightly bizarre ownership interpretation - from the syntactic structure of the object alone. This is precisely what I critcize: RDF doesn’t support such subtleties.

RDF actually does handle subtleties, we just need to get in the habit of
making precise examples. That why I go the extra  mile to say:

@prefix rdfs: <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#> .
@prefix : <#> .

:this :relatedTo :that .

:relatedTo rdfs:domain owl:Thing ;
                 rdfs:range owl:Thing .

Dropping prefixes and the description of an rdf:Property instance that
functions as the predicate in a sentence leads to confusion.

>  It has blank nodes, reification of statement types (but not tokens) and in a hackish way also graphs. How much expressivity can you expect from that on its own? Of course you can model everything with the help of suitable classes and properties but in and on itself RDF is very limited and barely express some structure in the sea of triples. Relying on that structure to transport a lot of meaning leads into dangerous territories of - and that is an empirical fact that you can gather from countless threads like this one on semantic web related mailing lists - undissolvable disputations about the semantics of this, that and "but no I meant *that*". That's the exact opposite of easy interoperability that the Semantic Web is meant to enable.

The notion of a Semantic Web isn't the problem. Methinks, habit and
tools are the big problem :)

Links:

[1]
https://medium.com/openlink-software-blog/simple-linked-data-deployment-tutorial-a532e568c82f
-- Simple Linked Data Deployment Tutorial

Kingsley

--
Regards,

Kingsley Idehen