Re: Why does RDF* allow triples as objects?

William,

I understand you are dissatisfied with the design of RDF, and believe that RDF would have been better if certain decisions had been made differently. Such sentiments are not uncommon among those who have worked with RDF. I myself am no exception.

Nevertheless, we have to acknowledge that RDF* is an extension of RDF-as-is, and not an extension of some RDF-that-could-have-been.

As a matter of fact, in plain RDF, rules of the form

    { ?a :p1 ?b } => { ?b :p2 ?a }

already produce syntactically invalid triples under certain circumstances. So I don't see why one would expect rules of that form to always produce valid triples in RDF*.

Again, allowing triples only as subjects is sufficient to address the stated use cases for RDF* (annotation of statements, and PG interoperability), and makes it easier to define appropriate syntaxes and user interfaces.

Richard