Re: shapes, forms, and footprints for building Linked Data apps

I also have some thoughts on ordering in relationship to the following part of comparison:

SHACL

Can be used to generate forms, but the designer has to add order.

ShEx

Can be used to generate forms directly.

The issues I see with this comparison are:

1. Absence of order information should not prevent form generation.

For example, UI code could then order properties alphabetically. This is what we do if there is no order information.

2. In my experience, and I have done quite a lot of data modeling, defining the order of presentation of properties in the UI is always a subsequent step to defining what properties exist and what values they should have.

In case of SHACL, the subsequent step is about adding sh:order values. In case of SheX it is about reordering information in the shape. In either case, it is a separate step. I believe that adding sh:order values is a simpler and less disruptive approach as it only adds to the shape and does not involve modifying the rest of the information that already exists..

I am saying this because the order in which properties are though of during the data modeling is often not the order in which they should be rendered on a form. Until all properties are enumerated and defined, a designer typically can not make proper decisions about their presentation order. This makes any early commitment to the field order temporary and preliminary. Only after all properties are identified, the order could be decided on.

Regards,

Irene