Re: pre-binding as used in SHACL document

The specific problem what I identified in the email that started this thread
has nothing to do with subqueries.  None of the examples that I provided
involve subqueries at all.  What did happen here was that I pointed out that
the definition of pre-binding as of 9 May 2017 produces unsuitable results for
quite a few queries that are in the SHACL document.

At its meeting of 10 May 2017 the working group decided to change the
definition of pre-binding in the SHACL document.  This change appears to
affect the results of pre-binding for many queries that do not contain
subqueries, MINUS, SERVICE, VALUES, or AS.

This is a new definition of pre-binding with significant differences from the
previous definition.  It thus needs substantive internal and external review,
neither of which have happened, if it is to remain part of SHACL.

At-risk features in Candidate Recommendations are not features that can be
modified without a requirement to publish a new Candidate Recommendation.
Instead,  at-risk features "may be *removed* [emphasis added] before
advancement to Proposed Recommendation without a requirement to publish a new
Candidate Recommendation." [World Wide Web Consortium Process Document,
https://www.w3.org/2017/Process-20170301/#candidate-rec]

Peter F. Patel-Schneider
Nuance Communications

PS:  The basis of the definition of pre-binding in the SHACL document is a
proposal *to* the SPARQL EXISTS Community Group not a proposal *by* the SPARQL
EXISTS Community Group.