Re: on validation

Peter, Dimitris and I have recently had a discussion about the term
"validation" which unfortunately has multiple meanings in English:

1) to make valid (e.g. an official stamp validates a document)
2) to prove to be valid (the passport official validates the document)
3) to test if something is valid

This is not your question below, but the sentence you quote uses
meanings #2 and #3. We are trying to unpack these uses such that we will
have separate terms for #2 and #3 throughout the document. The phrases
"validates against a shape" and "validate against some filter" will
therefore be changed.

kc

--
Karen Coyle