Re: on what is a shape

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 5:15 PM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider <
pfpschneider@gmail.com> wrote:

> The alternative approach you describe appears to be that sh:hasShape would
> produce an error if the node that it is given cannot be otherwise
> determined
> to be a shape.  This seems to me to be a much better solution than the
> current one.  Although there may be a small implementation burden, this
> approach has the twin decided benefits of permitting implementations that
> transform shapes before verification time and also detecting what would
> otherwise be very difficult-to-detect mistakes in shapes graphs.  Even if
> the implementation burden were quite large these benefits would outweigh
> it.

I will create an issue for the WG to decide on this

> However, there still remains the problem of just what a shape is.  With
> this
> approach the wording on shapes would say something like:
>
> "2. Shapes
> A shape is a node in a shapes graph that is a SHACL instance of sh:Shape
> or has
> an expected type of sh:Shape."
>
> As far as I can tell this means that there are the following ways to be a
> shape:
> 1/ Be a SHACL instance of sh:Shape.
> 2/ Be the object of a triple with predicate sh:not or sh:shape or
> sh:qualifiedValueShape.
> 3/ Be a member of a list that is the object of a triple with predicate
> sh:and or sh:or.
>
> Consider the following shapes graph:
>
> sh:s1 rdf:type sh:Shape ;
>   sh:property [ sh:predicate ex:p ;
>                 sh:shape sh:s3 ;
>                 sh:or ( sh:s4 _:b 7 "shape" ) ] ;
>
> sh:s2 rdf:type [ rdfs:subClassOf sh:Shape ] .
>
> _:x sh:shape sh:s5 ;
>   sh:or ( sh:s6 sh:s7 ) .
>
> sh:s11
>  sh:property [ rdf:type sh:PropertyConstraint ;
>                sh:predicate ex:q ;
>                sh:shape sh:s8 ;
>                sh:or ( sh:s9 sh:s10 ) ] .
>
> As far as I can tell, the shapes in this shapes graph under this
> alternative
> approach *and* under the current editors' draft of 12 October 2016 would be
> sh:s1, sh:s2, sh:s3, sh:s4, _:b, 7, "shape", sh:s5, sh:s6, and sh:s7, sh:8,
> sh:9, and sh:10.
>
> Is this what is intended?

While you were writing this email I already identified this issue and
adjusted the definition of "Expected type" to remove literal values
if you remove "shape" your list is correct

> I do recollect that there has been considerable antagonism in the working
> group to using RDFS reasoning for anything related to SHACL even though
> SHACL was doing quite a bit that is close to RDFS reasoning and is now
> doing
> even more that it is very close to RDFS reasoning.
>

> So the difference between "value type" and "expected type" is described
> here:
>
> "Note that the parameter tables in each of the following sections have a
> column called Value Type which indicates the expected type of the parameter
> values for documentation purposes, without enforcing any formal
> restrictions."
>
> I certainly read this as saying that value type implies expected type.  It
> is also quite obscure that this implication is only in constraints.

in my last reply I marked this as a typo and already replaced it with
"indicates the expected value type"
is this still not clear? Do you think another name would be more
appropriate?