Re: on the turtle serialization of SHACL

The working group had already discussed this as part of ISSUE-87 in 2015
and decided to include rdfs:range and rdfs:domain statements as
suggested by Arthur Ryman. Among others it simplifies interaction with
editing tools that populate input forms based on ranges and domains.
According to your logic we also couldn't include rdfs:subClassOf
triples, because someone may expect us to do RDFS inferencing.

> The problem is that readers may be misinformed into believing that this domain
> and range information actually relates to anything that happens in SHACL.
>
> The subclass information might have some relationship to what happens in
> SHACL, so there might be some utility to include it in an official SHACL
> document.  Since the domain and range information doesn't, including it in an
> official SHACL document seems to me to only be misleading.
>
> peter
>

> On 12/14/2016 01:34 PM, Irene Polikoff wrote:
>> Something like:
>>
>> sh:property rdfs:range sh:PropertyConstraint
>>
>> is simply a declaration.
>>
>> It does not require that inferencing must happen. Just like other published
>> vocabularies (e.g., SKOS) do not require their users to perform inferencing.
>>
>> Whether the reader of the document chooses to only be informed by these
>> statements or do inferencing is the readers choice not the publisher.
>>
>> So, I don’t really see what problem the domain and range statements in the
>> SHACL vocabulary would create.
>>
>> Irene
>>
>>> On Dec 14, 2016, at 10:47 AM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider
>>> <pfpschneider@gmail.com <mailto:pfpschneider@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> However then the document has to reflect the actual
>>> situation with respect to the SHACL vocabulary.  This does not appear to be
>>> the case.  There are lots of occurrences of rdfs:domain and rdfs:range in the
>>> document.  As SHACL doesn't do RDFS reasoning these are only creating false
>>> impressions.