Re: Enough already

Hey Terry,

as I see it, the debate is not about perfection, but precision.

Do you see people arguing about RDF or SPARQL specs? No, because they are
defined precisely using semantics and algebra. That is the guarantee for
robustness, not merely application in practice.

LDP started a trend which SHACL seems to be following, that the editors are
not able or willing to produce such precise, theory-backed definitions and
are trying to push the spec out of the door ASAP. This might be of
advantage to some players in the short term, but detrimental to the future
of Semantic Web.

In case of SHACL specifically, I think the problem is that while SPIN was
an elegant concept on top of SPARQL, shoehorning constraints into a
vocabulary is a model mismatch, a little like putting an ORM on top of
RDBMS: it works most of the time, but there will always be corner cases you
cannot hammer out.

Best,

Martynas