Re: prospective charter for a shapes validation WG

Sandro, I'll take a stab at this, although the group is just beginning
so our thinking could well evolve over the next few months. (Antoine may
have other comments!)

My thought is that the Dublin Core "angle" stems from the fact that many
users in the DC community are cultural heritage organizations whose data
does not have the rigor of business or scientific data. In the same way
that the DC terms are purposely simple, the DC application profile work
may become a basic core within the grand scheme of profiling and
validation. We will probably intend our profiles to be created and read
by those whose expertise is in their own domain but not necessarily in
technology solutions.

The DC Application Profile work done so far [1] has only a small
validation component. DCAPs are strongly based in conceptual domain
modeling and communication, and have a significant role of documenting
choices, even if those choices cannot be formulated in terms of actual
validation. The current DCAP scope includes documentation and functional
requirements. [2] It isn't clear yet if the new task group will embrace
that model or will move more toward validation, but I do hope that it
retains the humanities-friendliness that Dublin Core has served until now.

kc
[1] http://dublincore.org/documents/profile-guidelines/
[2] http://dublincore.org/documents/singapore-framework/ (esp. 3.2)

--