RDF.rb 2.0.0 release

From: Gregg Kellogg <gregg@greggkellogg.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 15:52:21 -0700
The RDF.rb core team is happy to announce the 2.0.0 release of RDF.rb and related gems. Detailed information on changes in the release are in the release notes [1]. Note that there are breaking changes from the 1.x releases, as was communicated earlier.

The highlights are:

* Updated Transaction support with queryable snapshots. Transactions can be read/write or read-only.
* native in-memory Repository implemented using Hamster::Hash for a fully functional interface that reduces memory operations when querying/iterating.
* rdf command-line is now pluggable and includes more commands for linting, reasoning and many more commands now available if other gems are installed.
* Updated method interfaces consistent with Ruby 2.x patterns, including greater use of keyword arguments.

As usual, “gem install linkeddata” should get the whole suite updated. Note that Ruby versions < 2.0 are no longer supported.

(Note, there seems to be some temporary issue with installing the json-ld 2.0.0 gem. As a workaround, download locally from https://rubygems.org/gems/json-ld/versions/2.0.0, and run ‘gem install json-ld-2.0.0.gem’.)

Please file bug reports on the appropriate Github project, or to public-rdf-ruby@w3.org.

During the 2.0 phase, we intend to work on general performance improvements, and a well-performing persistent native Repository, among other things.

As always, collaborators are welcome, subject to the contribution guidelines [2]. In particular, we are looking for developers interested in taking responsibility for related gems in https://github.com/ruby-rdf. In particular, if you have experience with Rust [3], we’d welcome your help on creating high-performance readers/writers and repositories.

The Ruby RDF team:

Gregg Kellogg
Tom Johnson
Arto Bendiken