Re: [Wikidata-l] Provenance tracking on the Web with NIF-URIs

Sabastian,

On Jun 21, 2012, at 1:04 PM, Sebastian Hellmann wrote:

> Dear Provenance group,
> there was a discussion at WikiData, which lead to contacting you:
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikidata-l/2012-May/000475.html
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikidata-l/2012-May/000478.html
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikidata-l/2012-May/000566.html
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikidata-l/2012-June/000751.html
>
> You are tracking provenance on the resource level.

Are you suggesting that text snippets within a document (resource representation, really) cannot be resources themselves?

PROV provides prov:Entity, and you can choose anything that you wish to be a prov:Entity (for cases when you want to describe its provenance).

So, we could tweak your example:

<http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html#offset_717_729>
  a str:StringInContext, prov:Entity;
  prov:value "Semantic Web";
  prov:wasQuotedFrom <http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html>;
.

If you're concerned about time, you can get more specific by saying:

<http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html#offset_717_729>
  a str:StringInContext, prov:Entity;
  prov:wasQuotedFrom :the-page-today;
.

:the-page-today
	a prov:Entity;
        prov:specializationOf <http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html>;
        prov:generatedAtTime "2009-06-18T18:24:33"^^xsd:dateTime;
.

> in NIF Fragments of resources are used as subject in RDF.
> Hence you could consider for inclusion, if it is not a too far stretch, and if there is enough time left.

What specifically are you proposing the PROV-WG include?

Thanks for pointing out the NIF work, it will be great to reuse existing models for the strings in documents.

Regards,
Tim Lebo