Re: GoodRelations vs. Google RDFa vs. Open Graph vs. hProduct/hListing: Using GoodRelations in 10 Triples

Apologies - There were a few minor bugs in the initial markup:
- I forgot the business function.
- The datatype for the price was xsd:string instead of xsd:float.
- The legal name had no language tag.

The correct examples are at

http://ebusiness-unibw.org/pipermail/goodrelations/2010-May/000215.html

On 03.05.10 10:38, Martin Hepp (UniBW) wrote:
> Dear all:
>
> Some people think that the GoodRelations ontology for e-commerce
> (http://purl.org/goodrelations/) is powerful, but complex.
> I think it is important for everybody in the community to know that
> GoodRelations can be as simple (or simpler) than any more lightweight
> approach for product markup, as long as you compare the same level of
> granularity.
>
> Below, please find an example of offering a car for sales in just ten
> (!) triples.
>
> Of course, you can do more with GoodRelations than just encoding a
> price and carrying the semantics of the product itself in a string.
>
> The important message in here is that simple chunks of data are as
> simple in GoodRelations as they are in hProduct/hListing microformats,
> Google's RDFa vocabulary, or the Open Graph product markup.
>
> The key difference is that GoodRelations has a much more extensible
> and, in my biased ;-) judgement: cleaner, conceptual model so that IF
> you have more granular data available, THEN you can expose it, and
> make your products more findable on the Web.
>
> For example, GoodRelations distinguishes between products and product
> models / datasheets. That allows for powerful linking between
> individual items and rich technical specifications from the
> manufacturer's page.
>
> The Open Graph approach seems to use a plain "topic" semantics, which
> mixes items, datasheets, and offers.
>
> Please keep that in mind and spread the word.
>
> Here is the markup.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Martin

martin hepp
e-business&  web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen

e-mail:  hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org
phone:   +49-(0)89-6004-4217
fax:     +49-(0)89-6004-4620
          http://www.heppnetz.de/ (personal)
skype:   mfhepp
twitter: mfhepp

Project page:
http://purl.org/goodrelations/

Resources for developers:
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations

Webcasts:
Overview - http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/webcast/
How-to   - http://vimeo.com/7583816

Recipe for Yahoo SearchMonkey:
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations_and_Yahoo_SearchMonkey

Talk at the Semantic Technology Conference 2009:
"Semantic Web-based E-Commerce: The GoodRelations Ontology"
http://www.slideshare.net/mhepp/semantic-webbased-ecommerce-the-goodrelations-ontology-1535287

Overview article on Semantic Universe:
http://www.semanticuniverse.com/articles-semantic-web-based-e-commerce-webmasters-get-ready.html

Tutorial materials:
ISWC 2009 Tutorial: The Web of Data for E-Commerce in Brief: A Hands-on Introduction to the GoodRelations Ontology, RDFa, and Yahoo! SearchMonkey
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/Web_of_Data_for_E-Commerce_Tutorial_ISWC2009