Re: Updated RDFa Syntax 1.1 draft uploaded

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010, Toby Inkster wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-01-14 at 09:44 -0600, Shane McCarron wrote:
> > This specification also adds the |lang| attribute to the I18N
> > attribute
> > collection as defined in [XHTMLMOD
> > <http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/2010/ED-rdfa-syntax-20100113/references.html#ref_xhtml_modularization>].
> > The |lang| attribute is defined in [HTML4
> > <http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/2010/ED-rdfa-syntax-20100113/references.html#ref_html4>].
> > When this attribute and the |xml:lang| attribute are specified on the
> > same element, the |xml:lang| attribute takes precedence. When both
> > |lang| and |xml:lang| are specified on the same element, they SHOULD
> > have the same value.
>
> That's more or less the same as HTML5's lang/xml:lang handling except
> that IIRC HTML5 stipulates that attributes with invalid language codes
> must be treated as if they were absent.

This changed recently on advice from i18n; now they must be treated as if
they had a valid code that just isn't recognised. (And HTML5 says that
they MUST have the same value, and also gives the rules that apply to the
non-namespaced "{}xml:lang" attribute (where "xml:" is not a prefix but is
part of the local name) that one would see in text/html.)