Re: Automatic XML namespaces

From: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 13:56:11 -0500
To: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
Sam Ruby wrote:
> Liam Quin, W3C XML Activity Lead, has discussed the following in the
> context of the Hypertext Coordination Group (HCG) and at the TPAC, but I
> have not seen it discussed here:
>
> http://www.w3.org/2009/Talks/08-quin-balisage-namespaces/

(bcc: RDFa TF)

Yes, Liam' proposal is a good one.

A number of us have been discussing the "Namespace Definition files"
approach offline for a number of months. I remember that Mark Birbeck
had also brought the concept up about a year ago in a XHTML+RDFa Task
Force telecon.

While there are a number of issues to be worked out, I think this is the
right direction for the distributed extensibility debate. It provides a
solid replacement for xmlns: while requiring authors to know what a
namespace is or how to use it. It seems like this approach could be a
good compromise and it seems to be in line with requirements put forth
by WHATWG, the RDFa TF and HTML WG.

-- manu

President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: Establishing an Open Digital Media Commerce Standard
http://blog.digitalbazaar.com/2009/09/28/a-digital-content-commerce-standard/