Re: xmlns in HTML5 (was: Telecon Agenda- Thursday 1500 UTC)

On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 00:40 -0400, Manu Sporny wrote:
> I think we will inevitably hit upon the xmlns: discussion for non-XML
> languages, namely HTML5. After doing some digging, I was unable to
> find a place in the HTML5 spec that says that xmlns:-based namespace
> declarations cannot be used in HTML5 (vs. XHTML5).

For some reason, the Gell-Mann Totalitarian Principle sprung into my
mind when I read this.

	"Everything which is not forbidden, is compulsory."

But the HTML specs, recklessly defying quantum physics, do not follow
that principle. Instead...

	"Everything which is not defined, is forbidden."

For the same reason, xmlns:foo attributes aren't allowed in HTML4
either.

Ian Hickson wrote:

> Authors must not use elements, attributes, and attribute values that
> are not permitted by this specification or other applicable
> specifications.
>  -- http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#semantics-0

Which "other specifications" are "applicable"?

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>