Re: microdata feedback

Philip Taylor wrote:
> Manu Sporny wrote:
>> 1. Write a Microdata parser from scratch following the exact HTML5 spec
>>    language.
>
> http://philip.html5.org/demos/microdata/demo.html (JS) and
> http://james.html5.org/microdata/ (Python) were written that way. (The
> spec language may have changed a bit since then, but I don't remember
> any substantial changes). Are these sufficient for what you're looking for?

Yes, they're a good start (as long as you and James were diligent in
implementing the exact spec language). I can't say more since I haven't
looked at both parsers in detail.

>> 2. Mark up the entire RDFa Test Suite in Microdata (see which test
>>    cases cannot be marked up).
>
> http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2009-May/019732.html
> and
> http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2009-May/019744.html
> suggest that it's possible to (inelegantly) express any arbitrary RDF
> graph using Microdata, as long as all literals are strings, and there
> are no cycles, and no blank node is used as the subject of two or more
> triples. So that should determine the set of test cases that cannot be
> marked up in a fashion that gives the expected triples. (I might have
> missed some other issues, though.)

That's quite a large number of restrictions, but may not affect
accomplishing solutions for the majority of use cases using Microdata
(as Ian has asserted). It's a good plan - now we just need somebody with
some spare cycles to do the work. Any volunteers?

-- manu

--
Manu Sporny (skype: msporny) (twitter: manusporny)
President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.