Re: Why bound prefixes are an anti-pattern in language design

On Thu, 6 Aug 2009, Martin McEvoy wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
> > Does RDFa rely on strings that are bound to other strings in order to form
> > identifiers when combined with a third set of strings?
>
> Yes it does, so does Javascript, PHP, CSS,  pretty much every other Object
> orientated syntax..?

Could you illustrate how this is the case in JavaScript?

CSS does indeed have such an indirection mechanism (actually it has two,
the selector mechanism and the @namespace mechanism), and both have proved
quite confusing to authors. I would not recommend designing CSS that way
if we were starting over from scratch.

CSS has the advantage (over RDFa) that authors can immediately see if what
they did was wrong, though, since it affects the rendering.