Re: Publishing a new draft (HTML5+RDFa)

On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 3:38 AM, Anne van Kesteren<annevk@opera.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Aug 2009 00:34:34 +0200, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
>> On Fri, 31 Jul 2009, Julian Reschke wrote:
>>>
>>> That being said, MANY people deal just fine with prefix-based
>>> indirection, and at least one indirection mechanisms we already have in
>>> HTML (class names -> CSS) is *far* more complicated.
>>
>> Class names and CSS are also a source of great author confusion.
>
> I think the reason they work well for most authors is that there is a direct visual effect when making the site so it is immediately obvious if you made a mistake.
>

> --
> Anne van Kesteren
> http://annevankesteren.nl/

The reason they work well is that people have tutorials and other
material that teach them how to use the class names and CSS,and
they're aware of the benefit by becoming familiar with how to use both
correctly.

The same can be said of any part of any web technology. There is
nothing logical or especially sane about the use of angle brackets to
delimit HTML elements. There is nothing inherently human about nesting
elements. There is definitely nothing particularly elegant about the
concept of reverse DNS, which most web developers have never been
exposed to (as compared to URIs, which most web developers are very
familiar with).

There is nothing in any web technology that is particularly easy, or
gives itself to instant intuitive understanding of how something
works.

People can learn. People can learn about CSS and class names, and they
can learn about prefixes. As we've seen, they can learn and they have
learned and they are applying.

We can also learn to suppress our biases in order to create work that
is inclusive of the needs of many, not just the interests of a few.

Shelley