generic Microformat parsers

On 9/16/08, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org> wrote:
>  Are you suggesting that there are generic Microformat parsers out there
> that can usefully consume microformat markup for as-yet-unauthored
> Microformats, so long as the syntax matches the general design patterns and
> principles outlined in the Microformats Wiki?
>
>  What software is available right now that uses this generic parsing model?

--- I donīt want to push this thread too far in yet another direction,
but I wrote this awhile ago.
http://hg.microformats.org/x2v?f=7c33254b3150;file=mf-templates.xsl;style=gitweb

It is an XSLT to handling the generic parsing rules. It is not 100% of
what you are asking for, and probably is not 100% complete, but as
errors are found it can be updated.

I have abstracted this as much as possible, but you basically need two
files. The first is mf-template.xsl which is your "meat and potatoes"
it will extract the data based on the parsing principles. What you
need to create for every microformats (even the ones not yet created)
is a second, "View" file. This calls the mf-templates which simply
return the string. What you do with that string is up to you. It could
be part of an RDF triple, or a CSV, etc. Those views are custom made
to each format and each output and would have to be authors for new
formats.

So there is no magic bullet, because a new value "foobar" is of an
unknown type, but with the "view" you simply say, fetch me all foobar
values, and by the way, foobar is of type date-time - and it will
return the encoded strings.

I hope this helps, all the XSLTs are under The W3C Open Source
License. If you have any questions, let me know.

-brian

--
brian suda
http://suda.co.uk