Re: geo location tutorial cut

Steven Pemberton wrote:

> I don't think so; it just needs attention. People understand that
> there
> are things without URIs. You, me, towns, cars, emotions.

But isn't one of the key ideas behind RDF that we *give* these things
(network non-addressable resources: NNARs) URIs and can then start to
describe them.

The idea of DBpedia.org is that it automatically gives us a URI for
the concept behind every page at Wikipedia. That is, while <http://
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Waste_Land> is a URI for a web page
discussing a poem by T S Eliot, <http://dbpedia.org/resource/
The_Waste_Land> is intended to be a URI for the poem itself - the NNAR.

(See <http://wiki.dbpedia.org/Datasets#h18-4>.)

For any (English edition) Wikipedia article X, the following triples
hold (or such is the aim of DBpedia.org).

	@prefix res:  <http://dbpedia.org/resource/> .
	@prefix data: <http://dbpedia.org/data/> .
	@prefix page: <http://dbpedia.org/page/> .
	@prefix wiki: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/> .
	@prefix foaf: <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/> .
	@prefix dc:   <http://purl.org/dc/terms/> .

	data:X foaf:primaryTopic res:X ; dc:source wiki:X .
	page:X foaf:primaryTopic res:X ; dc:source wiki:X .
	wiki:X foaf:primaryTopic res:X .
	res:X foaf:page wiki:X .

That is, DBpedia.org assigns URIs for every concept that has an
article on Wikipedia, which is a separate URI from the article
itself. MySpace or its ilk could easily do something similar by
creating a subdomain res.myspace.com such that for any user X at
MySpace, then:

	@prefix myspace: <http://www.myspace.com/> .
	@prefix myres: <http://res.myspace.com/> .
	myspace:X foaf:primaryTopic myres:X .
	myres:X foaf:page myspace:X .

Then someone could easily make statements like the one mentioned
earlier:

	myres:joe foaf:knows myres:some_band .

The solution is not to find easier ways to make statements about
things without URIs, but rather we should have more URIs for NNARs.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>