Re: thoughts on reviewers' comments

Ben Adida wrote:

>> * Section 5.5, Rule 9 (and also the last two paragraphs of Section
>> 6.3.1.3): this is not a comment, but a question: must the parser descend
>> recursively when a non-XML literal has been created by concatenating
>> text nodes? I couldn't find a test case for this. In other words, I'm
>> not sure which should be the expected outcome of parsing the following
>> mark-up:

>>      Albert
>>      <strong property="foaf:familyName">Einstein</strong>
>
> This is an interesting one. I'm torn on this issue. I think we should
> still parse down the tree no matter what, I don't think a change in data
> type should change the state of parsing.

At the moment, the processing rules say:

- if a @property is used without a @content, then
 - the entire subtree is the value of the @property
 - the recursion stops at that point, ie, no further
 parsing is done
- this is independent of the value (and indeed presence) of @datatype.

So in the case cited by Diego the property value will be "Albert
Einstein" (according to the current spec).

I am a bit uneasy to base the decision on further recursion or not based
on the value of @datatype, I must admit; you seem to say the same... But
this means that

  Albert
  <strong property="foaf:familyName">Einstein</strong>

Would yield the XMLLiteral _plus_ the recursed values, too. And that
leads to the issue we had with that a long time ago: what happens, for
example, to a <pre> somewhere down the line?

   This is an example for the correct usage of @property in RDFa
  <pre>
  </pre>

Surely you do not want the content of <pre> to be interpreted...

My proposal is to leave the spec as is unless there is a really, really
compelling use case to reopen the whole argument:-)

> Ed's comments [2]:
>
>> perhaps pointing at the reference implementation would help people
>> like me?
>
> I don't think we should have *one* reference implementation: we'd have
>  to all review it deeply and live with whatever bugs we miss as "part of
> the spec." Spec'ing via the test cases seems best.

+1

>> Is non-XHTML RDFa discussed in any other documents that would be worth
>> linking to here?
>
> I would vote for no forward pointers in our spec, so we should clarify
> this language.

I agree

>> 5.2
>>
>> Is it worth mentioning that 'direction' needs to be captured in the
>> list of incomplete triples?
>
> My implementation keeps track of rel and rev separately, so this is a
> useful comment I think.

I would leave that to Mark... but, indeed, my implementation does not
use this 'direction' either. Although I mix up the incomplete triplets
for @rev and @rel, I store them at a temporary place and put a None
value to the missing resource's place. I then complete that one by
exchanging it against a real resource and then store it in the final
triple store.

>> -- 5.5.5 Is the issue with Chained bnodes with no real statements
>> captured as an Issue in the SWD Issue Tracker?
>
> I don't think it needs to be: the same useless comments can be written
> in RDF/XML, so if people want to write them.... why not parse them?

I think I commented that before, ie, that this remark (attributed to me)
seems to be moot with the new setup... Ie, I agree with you!