Re: Mapping Microformats to RDFa

On 12.10.2007 11:54:01, Manu Sporny wrote:
>We needed to know exactly what attributes map over... is the work we're
>doing more detailed than yours? Please feel free to re-use anything
>we're doing... that document is in the public domain.
I'm trying to provide more than just term mappings. MFs have
an implicit scoping effect that RDF doesn't know, which means
that nested MFs can lead to different triples than stand-alone
ones. I'm trying to document stuff like that, and where some
community decisions might be helpful.

>hCard doesn't map to FOAF completely... not even close. If we tell
>people to do this, they'll immediately start pointing out why
>Microformats are better than RDFa. "hCard has way more useful properties
>than FOAF" - which to the untrained eye, is true.
It's RDF, vocabs can be freely combined. I'm using *both* FOAF
and vcard/rdf. It can make a lot of sense to ground an hcard2rdf
conversion in FOAF, so that you don't have to build complex SPARQL
queries when you are writing an address book app that uses both
FOAF data and converted hcards. If you are starting from a big
set of RDFy vcards, it may make sense to convert incoming FOAF
data to vcard/rdf instead. It really depends on the use case.

Benji

--
Benjamin Nowack
http://bnode.org/