Re: Review for RDFa Primer

Ben Adida wrote:
>> As Joe Developer, I wanna know how does RDFa relate to microformats?
>> Is RDFa a replacement for microformats?  Do they work together
>> somehow?
>
> Manu Sporny is currently writing up a document that explains why his
> group needed more than microformats and chose RDFa. He's also writing up
> how their final solution uses both.

The document, which is a work in progress, can be found here:

http://wiki.digitalbazaar.com/en/haudio-case-study

To summarize, there is room in this world for both - each addresses a
slightly different problem domain.

As far as we (Digital Bazaar) see it, RDFa is a technically brilliant
solution for adding semantics to web pages. It takes a de-centralized
approach to creating vocabularies.

Microformats are beautiful in their simplicity. Simplicity has also led
to markup restrictions, which is okay - the community is more interested
in embedding semantics into the web than being the final solution. The
uF community takes a centralized approach to creating vocabularies.

The document linked to above goes into some of the specific benefits and
problems of working with both Microformats and RDFa. It is meant to be
accessible to most web publishers.

-- manu

--
Manu Sporny