Re: Proposal for an additional 'link type' for rdf:type

Mark Birbeck wrote:
> Hi Ivan,
>
>> I am not sure what you mean...
>
> Well...I said the other day that if we were to prevent bnodes from
> being created on <head> when @instanceof was present, we would have a
> way to give a document a 'type' without needing to use the RDF
> namespace. You replied that you didn't like 'exceptions'--in this case
> an exception to the bnode/@instanceof rule. I then said that in a
> sense you could say that there is no exception, because we already say
> that a value for @about is 'implied', so all we'd need to say is that
> it is this 'implied' @about that is used by @instanceof.
>
> So all I'm asking now is whether you are happy with that. :)

Yeah, we got deviated a bit at that point but your argumentation did
convince on that very issue. If we say there is an implicit @about put
on <head> that, in my mind, is the sort of pre-processing step on the
DOM like, for example, replacing rel="copyright" by
rel="xhtmlvocab:copyright". It does not create an exception on the core
processing steps. And yes, I can live with that...

>> In any case, I think the precise statement is that @about="" is added to
>> <head> _unless_ the user adds it explicitly. Ie, if the user adds a,
>> say, @about="[_:x]" to <head>, than that will prevail...
>
> Sure, but the issue to clarify is how this interacts with @instanceof
> and @rel; at the moment a bnode is created if no @about attribute is
> present, so we need to be explicit that in the case of <head> an
> @about has actually been 'created'. The easiest way to do this would
> be for the schemas and DTDs to provide a default value for @about on
> <head>. (Although we would still need to put this into the processing
> prose.)

As I said, I would probably describe this as a pre-processing step, but
that is an editorial issue that I leave to you guys...

Ivan