Re: hAudio RDFa music blog demo for SWD F2F

On Wed, 2007-10-03 at 15:43 -0400, Manu Sporny wrote:
> Martin McEvoy wrote:
> > I have a problem...
> >
> > It is impossible to extract rdf from your document because of the
> > Invalid markup
> > http://validator.w3.org/check?ss=1&verbose=1&uri=http%
> > 3A//wiki.digitalbazaar.com/demos/scissorkick/scissorkick.html
> >
> > Failed validation, 587 Errors
> >
> > I realize that you may have NOT coded this page but wow thats a lot of
> > errors I would say that your pages MUST validate in order to
> > successfully extract RDF via GRDDL, The Distiller and Via Fabien's
> > RDFa2RDFXML style-sheet
>
> Hi Martin :)
>
> Unfortunately, I don't think it would be a good idea to change the
> Scissorkick web page...

No I agree It would be a too big a job to fix (I tried got it down to 57
errors)

> it is a real-world example, including validation
> errors. Like it or not, this is how the real-world operates and if the
> tools that we provide can't operate on pages with validation errors,
> there will be a big problem with adoption of those tools.

Distressing isn't it

> The Scissorkick example works in the modified version of
> Firefox+Operator that we provided. While I agree with you in spirit,
> getting the rest of the world to generate valid XHTML has been an uphill
> battle and we should not count on that happening.

I think I read somewhere that most of the pages on the Internet are
published using Front Page no wonder eh?

> > Also hAudio Microformat is not yet complete, do you think that hAudio
> > RDFa may be a little premature?
>
> This outlines one of the benefits of the RDFa approach -
> fast/independent/distributed creation of vocabularies. Due to the
> painfully slow nature of the Microformats Process, the hAudio RDFa
> specification is now more useful than the hAudio Microformat
> specification. Hopefully we can work to bring the hAudio Microformat up
> to date in the next couple of weeks.

We will

> Both formats will be kept in line with one another, but the Microformats
> community is making it difficult to keep them in sync.

sorry :)

> The truth is that
> hAudio RDFa and hAudio uF are feeding off of each other - concepts
> created in the uF community have been re-used successfully in hAudio
> RDFa and vice-versa. Both formats are evolving because of work done in
> other communities... yes, it might be a bit premature to use hAudio
> RDFa, but we must start somewhere... otherwise how do we know what works
> and what doesn't? :)

Good reasoning

> -- manu

Maybe a different use case example then (one that validates maybe) then
maybe you can show off the real power of hAudio

Thanks

Martin.