RE: metadata vs. "structured data"

Le mardi 24 octobre 2006 à 10:36 +0200, Neil McNaughton a écrit :
> One useful distinction that is in use by some is that 'metadata' refers to
> data about the data within the object - eg BananaML - <length> 12 cm ...
> And the term 'master data' is used about data/information that may or may
> not be within the object but that has currency outside of the object itself
> eg BananaML - <importer> Big Fruit Co Ltd....
> It seems to me that RDF's intent is to make master data (as above)
> accessible to other readers/applications that don't know or care about the
> details of BananaML itself? Is this right?

That's a usual definition but as such it is very subjective and a matter
of perspective.

When I write <p>That's a usual definition but I think that it is very
subjective and a matter of perspective.</p>, depending on my
perspective, I can consider that this is a string and that the fact that
this string is a paragraph is an information about the string. In that
case, the fact that the string is a paragraph would be... metadata!

The notion of metadata can thus only be described relatively to a
specific application or vocabulary and metadata is then anything that is
"out of topic" for the vocabulary.

When the vocabulary is XHTML, the fact that something is representing a
length is metadata even if the same information would be "master data"
as you say for BananaML.

Anyway, I do agree with Bob that despite its subjectivity, the term
metadata is most appropriate for RDFa.

Eric

> Neil McNaughton
>
> Editor, Oil IT Journal (www.oilit.com)
> In an independent 2005 survey by Houston-based Spur Digital,
> www.oilit.com was found to be the "Top Website for Energy IT Professionals".
>
> www.oilit.com currently receives between 1500 and 2000 visitors per day.

GPG-PGP: 2A528005
Have you ever thought about unit testing XSLT templates?
                                                     http://xsltunit.org
(ISO) RELAX NG   ISBN:0-596-00421-4 http://oreilly.com/catalog/relax