Re: GRDDL and XHTML 2.0

Hi Dan,

Le vendredi 11 août 2006 à 09:58 -0500, Dan Connolly a écrit :
> On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 09:59 +0200, Eric van der Vlist wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > How should GRDDL be used with XHTML 2.0?
> >
> > XHTML 2.0 has no profile attribute.
>
> Odd. I wonder why not.
>
> >  Does that mean that it should be
> > handed as XML and that the data-view:transformation attribute has to be
> > used?
>
> That should work.

I'll use that if I can't find any better solution, then.

> > Instead of using a foreign attribute, wouldn't it be better to use a
> > link element?
>
> I don't know; how would that work?

I meant (for XHTML 2.0) something such as:

<link rel="data-view:transformation" href="../index.html"/>

where you don't need to define a profile.

> And what's wrong with the attribute?

Your documents do not validate against the XHTML 2.0 schema.

> > Also, I think that generally speaking, imposing a foreign attribute in
> > XML is very intrusive: what if you are using a vocabulary that does not
> > allow foreign namespace attributes?
>
> Can you think of any important examples?

I wish more vocabularies could allow foreign attributes, but it seems to
be the exception rather than the rule!

XHTML 2.0, ODF, NITF, and DocBook come to mind.

> Somebody found a role attribute in DocBook... similar to the
> XHTML profile element in some ways. I suggested he could put
> a namespaceTransformation in the DocBook namespace document
> to explain to GRDDL consumers how docbook role is like
> xhtml profile.
>
> > Wouldn't it be a good idea to support a PI in addition or instead of the
> > data-view:transformation attribute?
>
> I'd rather not burden GRDDL consumers with character-by-character
> parsing of PIs, nor grounding PIs in URI space.

If this helps GRDDL producers, this doesn't seem to be such a burden...

Eric

--
GPG-PGP: 2A528005
Weblog: