Re: new W3C CDF specs (XHTML +SVG + SMIL +XForms) --- RDF/XML opportunity?

Mark Birbeck wrote:

>Bjoern,
>

>>Also note that SVG
>>does not use RDF/XML for meta data, unlike XHTML 1.x or XHTML
>>2.x SVG is an extensible format and you are free to decide
>>how to encode additional information in SVG graphics...
>>

>Just because you can use any language you like, doesn't make it extensible.
>Since you have no way to know what language is being used, then I don't see
>how it could really be called 'extensible'?
>
>Perhaps if there was an attribute to indicate the type of the metadata, you
>could say it was extensible. Something like:
>
>  <svg>
>    <metadata type="application/rdf+xml">
>      <rdf:RDF...
>    </metadata>
>  </svg>

I think the rdf:RDF itself achieves just this...

>>..., you can
>>use RDF/XML, you can use a well-designed "microformat", you
>>can even use Notation3 if you like.
>>

>I guess so, although section 21.2 advises the use of XML (although the DTDs
>don't seem to enforce it):
>
>  Metadata which is included with SVG content should be specified within
>  'metadata' elements. The contents of the 'metadata' should be elements
>  from other XML namespaces, with these elements from these namespaces
>  expressed in a manner conforming with the "Namespaces in XML"
>  Recommendation.

Seems reasonable. RDF's great and all, but loose coupling between
specs is also valuable. As defined, it would allow any new
version of RDF/XML syntax (eg. RDF/A) to be plugged in, without rev'ing
the SVG spec.

Dan