Re: CURIEs vs. QNames

On Nov 28, 2005, at 9:53 AM, Ben Adida wrote:
> On Nov 28, 2005, at 9:12 AM, Dan Connolly wrote:
>
>> > one of my main arguments in favour of CURIEs is that we
>> > need a way to abbreviate URIs in a manner that has *already* become
>> > established practice via QNames
>>
>>  --
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf/2005Nov/
>> 0021
>>
>> Who is the "we" there? Is this requirement really established?
>
> "we" is the sense of the task force after months of thinking about
> requirements from customers like the IPTC. This has been documented on

Really? I don't believe so. I've seen comments from individuals, but I
don't recall the taskforce as a whole giving a position on this. But I
may have lost track of how the taskforce makes decisions (which is easy
to do, since the only charter(s) I can find are expired.
http://www.w3.org/2003/08/rdf-in-xhtml-charter.html#_Duration )

>  and we're trying to find the time to put together all the pointers
> that clarify this requirement from all of our discussions and input
> from customers over the past 6 months.

I look forward to more of that.

It's risky to get into detailed design discussion in advance of having
requirements clear. Sometimes it's a good risk to take, but sometimes
not.