Re: xhtml-as-rdf

On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 13:29 +0200, Danny Ayers wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, has anyone played with expressing plain (X)HTML
> docs in RDF?

When the infoset stuff was in progress, there was some effort
at expressing it in RDF; it wasn't really finished/standardized,
but we have...
 An RDF Schema for the XML Information Set
 W3C Note 6 April 2001
 http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-infoset-rdfs

That model is pretty weak; it was just crying out for
cardinality constraints and such; when DAML+OIL came around, I did...

 A DAML+OIL model of the XML Information Set (in progress May 2001)
 http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/infoset/
esp
 http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/infoset/infoset-daml.n3
and culminating in...
 http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/infoset/infoset-diagram.png

Googlingn around, you can see various bits of related work...

Infoset representations in HTML and RDF
http://www.stylusstudio.com/xmldev/200108/post70770.html

XML Infoset, RDF and Data Modelling
http://www.mnot.net/blog/2004/05/28/other_data_models

>  Might it be useful for anything - annotations?, editor
> building? Stuff maybe like:

> =>
>
> xhtml:body x:hasChild _:p1 .
> _:p1 rdf:type xhtml:p .
> _:p1 rdf:value "some text" .

TimBL's approach was...
  http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/xml2infoset.py
(there are probably some examples of how to use that around,
but I don't remember where they are).

> I don't know if there's any best practice/convention for fairly
> arbitary tree containership. Combined with a Collection to preserve
> doc order?  Presumably attributes would have to get
> namespace-qualified equivalents.
>
> Or would this just be a clunky version of what XPath/XPointer already offers?

Quite possibly; see...

 New XML and XPath built-ins for CWM
 Waleed Abdulla (Thursday, 12 May)
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-cwm-talk/2005AprJun/0006.html

> (I've not really been following the XHTML 2.0 developments, maybe
> that's generally more amenable to RDFization).
>
> Cheers,
> Danny.

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E