From: Chris Croome [mailto:chris@webarchitects.co.uk]
Sent: 14 December 2005 15:27
To: Misha Wolf
Cc: public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org; newsml-2@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Another problem with leading digits

Hi

On Wed 14-Dec-2005 at 02:08:43PM +0000, Misha Wolf wrote:

> If the string "15093000" were to act as a fragment identifier within a
> Web page and if the fragment were to be identified by an attribute
> conforming to the XML attribute type 'ID', then this would be illegal,
> due to the leading digit.
>
> HTML 4 appears to have no such constraint.

I think it does:

  # ID and NAME tokens must begin with a letter ([A-Za-z]) and may be
    followed by any number of letters, digits ([0-9]), hyphens ("-"),
    underscores ("_"), colons (":"), and periods (".").

  http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/types.html#type-name

Chris

--
Chris Croome                               <chris@webarchitects.co.uk>

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Reuters Ltd.