RE: Agenda for Telecon 2004-10-22

Hello all,

Many apologies but I will be travelling at just the wrong time today (well,
the right time for me ...).

However, I thought it worth jotting down a few notes on which we would like
feedback, which hopefully will supplement your own comments:

1. We've added nodeID to address [1], but are there any better names?

2. Is everyone OK with the XPointer solution to finding anonymous nodes?

3. There may still be a few 'holes' in the processing section -- it needs
one more pass through since reverting to @href as a response to [2]. But if
I quickly explain the 'approach' it might help clarify what are real errors
and what are things just waiting to be brought into line.

The 'model' we've worked to is actually that of XML events. With that you
can only do two things -- you can specify an event observer for a node that
is at some other place in the document, or you can 'attach' an event
observer to an element by making the observer a child of the element. The
first use-case requires that an observer attribute is set with an IDREF,
whilst the second is what happens if no attribute is present.

As RDF/A evolved we played around with many sets of rules, including
scanning all parents of your node to find a default subject if one was
missing on the current node, and so on. However, we ended up with the
current syntax, which we think is easier to understand.

Although this is not mentioned in the RDF/A draft, the consequence of this
is that in XHTML 2 the head and body elements will have a default value for
@about of 'this document'. We'd like to know your thoughts on whether this
value should be "#" (am I being nineties again Dan? ;)) or just empty?

This means you can do stuff like this:

    <head>
    </head>
      <a rel="dc:creator" href="http://example.com/joe/" />

and get what one would expect.

Obviously, if these same elements appeared at some further level of nesting
(such as inside a div) then the result could be anonymous nodes as defined
in RDF/A.

I hope this helps, and we look forward to your comments -- and once again
sorry for not being there!

[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf/2004Sep/0019.html
[2]