Re: XHTML/RDF vocabulary documents: scenario from FOAF namespace

On Monday 09 June 2003 14:03, Dan Brickley wrote:
> Here's a scenario in which I mix RDF into an XHTML document.

Awesome, I've added it to [1] and I've tried to assign it as evidence to
various requirements.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2003/03/rdf-in-xml.html

In particular:

>               1. Expressivity
>                    b. The solution MUST support arbitrary
>                       (rich) assertions. [FOAF]
>               2. Format
>                    a. The RDF MUST NOT have to be reformatted
>                       from RDF/XML [FOAF]
>               3. Scope
>                    b. The RDF MUST apply only to its containing
>                       document. [FOAF]

> I chose to embed the RDF (actually RDFS/OWL markup) in the body of the
> document, rather than the head, though I wasn't so bothered by that part
> of the decision.

Is my assessment with respect to scope correct? Is the RDF/XML about the
resources it is within? (Or to ask a hairy question, is the RDF/XML about
the URI that happened to, when resolved, yielded that particular resource?)

> What I like about this scenario is that the namespace document includes
> both human and machine readable documentation about the FOAF vocabulary.
> Currently, I do this but it means the document can't be DTD or XML Schema
> validated.

I don't follow. Do you mean it can't be validated as XHTML 1.0, or that
somehow it's impossible to create your own composite DOCTYPE/DTD? (If so,
how, I'm missing the connection as two why the human *and* machine readable
description precipitates this.)