RE: another update test added (was: RE: Questions on grammar restrictions on Blank Node reuse across...)

> What do the definitions say?

The current definitions that affect this behavior are
1) Dataset-UNION (df. http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/docs/update-1.1/Overview.xml#def_datasetUnion )
 which does NOT standardize apart blank nodes
and
2) Dataset( QuadPattern,  P, DS, GS ) (cf. http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/docs/update-1.1/Overview.xml#def_datasetPattern)
 which explicitly says that the scoping graph SG used for BGP matching is equal to the active graph,  i.e., blank nodes from the active graph are preserved in solutions.

"Historically" when we did that, it was because we wanted to preserve bnodes in updates on the same graph.

I.e., on

  GS = {}
    <g1> { _:b :p :o }

a request such as:

update3 =
 INSERT { GRAPH <g1> { ?S :q :o } }
 INSERT { GRAPH <g1> { ?S :p :o } }

should result in

  GS' = {}
    <g1> { _:b :p :o ; :q :o }

instead of

  GS'' = {}
    <g1> { _:b :p :o . _:c :q :o }

We didn't make any special assumptions about moving bnodes *across* graphs in the definitions for Dataset-UNION, and Dataset(),
that is, in this sense I understand these definitions such that the result of update1 and update 2 (from the previous mails
should be equivalent. Anything else, it seems to me, would need a modification of the Update semantics definitions.

Now, there is some room probably of what we consider "equivalent" for datasets... and that might have to do with
implementations... As Greg put it, he said that update1 would be idempotent, but he would return
different bnode-ids, on update1, that was

GS'''' = {}
    <g1> { _:b :p :o }
    <g2> { _:c :p :o }

Question to greg here: is this because bnode-labels in greg's implementations are graph-specific? If so, and if these label
renamings across graphs are round-trippable, then update 2 should probably also be idempotent, i.e. still the result would be

    <g1> { _:b :p :o }
    <g2> { _:c :p :o }

Is that so?

best,
Axel (unfortunately probably not be able to dial in tomorrow being at ESWC)