RE: Questions on grammar restrictions on Blank Node reuse across patterns and a more fundamental question on Update semantics for confirmation (was: Re:Draft response KK-15)

Thanks for the quick response. I can live without the restriction for
QuadData, i.e. allowing them to share bnodes (in fact, after re-thinking
it makes things easier and is consistent with the behaviour outlined in
the update1 example that graphs in the graph store can share bnodes.)...
So we're in agreement. :-)

As for the steps to proceed:

> * Add the example of update1 from above to the update test cases, with outcome GS''.
>
> Not necessary but if you want to fine.  I think examples of corner cases are unhelpful -
> concentrate on the important parts, examples do not cover everything.

Yes, I prefer to add that example, since I think it's rather clarifying intended behaviour than being a corner case only. Plus, despite I agree that we can't possivbly cover everyrging, I think we should strive for coverage wherever we are aware of.

> > * Depending on 1) add
> >     INSERT DATA { GRAPH<g1>  { _:b1 :p :o} GRAPH<g2>  {
> _:b1 :p :o} }
> >    as either a negative or positive syntax test, plus add
> some clarifying
> >    remark on reuse of bnodes across QuadPatterns in the Update doc.
>
> Positive test.

Fine with me.

> > * Add the restriction on blank node label usages across BGPs
> >    (and QuadPatterns? Depending on 1)) also to the grammar
> restrictions
> >    in query, i.e. at
> > http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/docs/query-1.1/rq25.xml#sparqlGrammar
>
> No.

I assume the "No" is for the QuadPAtterns part...  May I still suggest
as small editorial fix to explicitly add the restriction on blank node
label usages across BGPs in the numbered list in Section 19.8, i.e.
add something like:

 <li>The same BLANK_NODE_LABEL must not appear in different GroupGraphPatterns
  within the same query</li>

just in order to have *all* grammar restrictions in one place?

Any other opinions on any of the points above?

Cheers,
Axel

--
Dr. Axel Polleres