Re: Review of SPARQL 1.1 Protocol

On 11/21/2011 4:30 AM, Olivier Corby wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is my review of Protocol (Action 561)
> http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/docs/protocol-1.1/Overview.xml
> Version of the 2011-11-16

Thanks, Olivier. Comments inline.

> -- The introduction MAY have a sentence to explain the difference with
> Graph Store HTTP Protocol.

I think the current sentence is sufficient.

Removed the "@@' since the referenced section immediately follows.

> 2.1.6 Success Responses
>
> (for SPARQL Query for RDF query forms SELECT and ASK)
> ->
> (for SPARQL Query forms SELECT and ASK)

done

> for SPARQL Query for RDF query forms DESCRIBE and CONSTRUCT
> ->
> for SPARQL Query forms DESCRIBE and CONSTRUCT

done

> 2.2.3 Specifying an RDF Dataset
>
> The RDF dataset for an update operation may be specified either in the
> operation string itself using the USING and USING NAMED keywords, or it
> may be specified via the default-graph-uri and named-graph-uri parameters.
>
> -- It may also be defined by the "WITH" keyword in the operation string
> itself

I'll tackle this once I fix this entire section. Still don't know what
happened to the text I used to have there. Alas.

> If an RDF dataset is not specified in either the protocol request or the
> SPARQL update request string, then implementations may execute the query
> against an implementation-defined default RDF dataset.
> ->
> then implementations **should** execute

This was a "may" in SPARQL 1.0 Protocol, and so I'm not too keen to change
it now unless you think it is very important...

> 3.1.1 SELECT with service-supplied RDF dataset
>
> <results distinct="false" ordered="false">
>
> -- attributes distinct and ordered are not part of SPARQL XML Results
> Format:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-sparql-XMLres/

True. Removed. thanks!

> 3.1.2 SELECT with simple RDF dataset
>

> -- RDF dataset should be written RDF Dataset

Done in many places.

> 3.1.5 DESCRIBE with simple RDF dataset
>
> <rdf:RDF ...
>
> -- complete the namespaces

OK, done

> -- two occurrences of:
>
> 2.1 Sparql Protocol Interface
> ->
> 2.1 SPARQL Protocol Interface
>
> -- the section does not exist, the link is broken

Fixed.

> 3.1.11 Long SELECT query using POST with URL encoding
>
> PREFIX XML: <http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#>
>
> -- prefer xsd: or xs: prefix for XML Schema datatypes

Agree & fixed.

> 3.1.11 Long SELECT query using POST with URL encoding
>
> <results ordered="false" distinct="false">
>
> -- attributes distinct and ordered are not part of SPARQL XML Results
> Format:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-sparql-XMLres/

Got rid of this everywhere.

> Since a SPARQL protocol service may make HTTP requests of other origin
> servers on behalf of its clients,
>
> -- I do not really understand this part: "make HTTP requests of other
> origin servers"

It's referring to the fact that a SPARQL processor might dereference
graph URIs from other servers. The text is leftover from SPARQL 1.0, so
inclined to leave it alone, but happy to entertain other suggestions.

thanks very much,
Lee