Re: xpath string index function

On Oct 3, 2011, at 5:39 PM, Andy Seaborne wrote:

> I have prototyped:
>
> STRBEFORE
> STRAFTER
> REPLACE
>
> and didn't encountered anything unexpected.
>
> I propose adding these as resolution of JB-7 (part 1)

I'm not very familiar with the relevant xsd functions here, but I'm very hesitant to support adding these if they introduce a lot of new complexity. For example, without digging into the XSD and Unicode spec documents, it's not obvious to me why:

"""
fn:substring-before ( "abcdefghi", "--d-e-", "CollationA") returns "abc"
"""
(from http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-functions/#func-substring-before)

If the SPARQL functions being discussed operated on simple strings (or regex, as in REPLACE), I'd be more comfortable supporting their addition.

.greg