Re: [JavaScriptFunctions] any WG implementations / advocacy?

On 25 Mar 2009, at 22:21, Lee Feigenbaum wrote:

> I was just taking a look at http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/wiki/Feature:JavaScriptFunctions
>  which was submitted on our -comments list by Holger Knublauch of
> TopQuadrant.
>
> The gist, as I understand it, is asking implementations to
> dereference URIs of unknown FILTER functions to retrieve RDF
> descriptions that contain JavaScript implementations of the functions.
>
> I think this is pretty cool, myself, but it also seems very new, a
> very high burden for implementors, and potentially fraught with
> security concerns that I haven't thought of yet.
>
> I'd like to know if there are any other implementations of this
> feature (which, to generalize a bit, I'd call a mechanism for
> interoperably resolving unknown SPARQL functions) and also if there
> are any Working Group members who care to advocate in favor of the
> group producing a specification for this feature.

Yeah, cool feature, I have considered implementing something very
similar (but limiting the DNS/IP ranges where functions can be drawn
from for some sort of security). However, it's far too early to
standardise in my opinion.

Steve Harris
Garlik Limited, 2 Sheen Road, Richmond, TW9 1AE, UK
+44(0)20 8973 2465  http://www.garlik.com/
9AD