Re: On Parameters

On Mar 25, 2009, at 11:20 AM, Seaborne, Andy wrote:

> I also feel nervous that the parameters feature is being driven by
> optimization concerns and an appeal to the analogy with SQL.  I'd
> feel more comfortable if it were driven by some application-writer
> added-value; that is, an external advantage, not an implementers and
> tuning advantage.  So far, such a use case has not come to light.

I added parameter support to my implementation (API, *not* protocol)
simply because I found it made writing applications easier. That being
said, I think the biggest value here is at the client API level, and
wouldn't be troubled if it wasn't standardized in the protocol.
Optimization seems compelling, but I would tend to agree with Andy's
reasoning here.

greg