Re: Go ahead with pub

Bijan Parsia wrote:
> Sorry to be late, but there was some confusion about what was going
> on and then I hit the class part of the week.
>
> I think the status part should point to the issues list.
>
> """Costs: Tableau-based reasoners (at least, the Pellet Demo example
> 7) rely on the current, more expressive semantics to match
> implications that are not in a materializable RDF graph."""
>
> No. Pellet uses BNodes as syntax for non-distinguished variables, as
> that's what we were told was the likely syntax for non-distinguished
> variables in SPARQL/DL. The semantics of *all* variables in SPARQL/
> RDF is semi-distinguished.

I'd be interested in tracing this back sometime.  Who told you/Pellet and does
  the working group have a record of it?  I'd find it useful in bring some of
the themes together as there is a lot of material scattered over the email
archive.

> I thought the alternative proposal (e.g., from conversation with
> Jeen, Jorge and others) was to *drop* BNodes in triple patterns. That
> does solve all the problems of scope, meaning etc., but it means that
> certain combinations of the axes of distinguishedness will be harder
> to specify (but heck, we can always introduce syntax later).
>
> """@@ Now we are in CR, shouldn't this be deleted?  Need chair's
> permission.
> The working group decided on this design and closed the disjunction
> issue without reaching consensus. The objection was that adding UNION
> would complicate implementation and discourage adoption. If you have
> input to this aspect of the SPARQL that the working group has not yet
> considered, please send a comment to public-rdf-dawg-comments@w3.org."""

> I would like that to be deleted because it's confusing on several
> levels (e.g., why doesn't it apply in optional?) I don't particularly
> care that it'd done before pub, but it seems an easy enough move. I
> mean, it doesn't *change* anything!

This text does seem out of date: the objection from DaveB was withdrawn and I
can't find a record of any other (I just checked with Steve).

http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/issues#disjunction

It is confusing.  But I'd like the chair's permission as confirmation.

	Andy