Re: overlap between rdf query and WS constraints

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 09:37:18AM -0400, Kendall Clark wrote:

> I've spoken with people in my lab who are doing the most with semantic
> web services, including service composition using hierarchical
> planners and OWL reasoners. There *is* positive overlap between our
> query language, and its expressivity, and computing constraints and
> requirements for web services.
>
> For example, some web service planning scenarios use OWL and KB
> reasoning to track the state of the world, figuring out preconditions
> and effects, for example, in an OWL-S scenario. But other scenarios
> (and groups and tools) use RDF to represent the state of the world
> and, thus, are using things like RDQL to compute
> constraints. Presumably in these scenarios, a DAWG query language
> would be useful too.

It sounds like there OWL expressions that we *can't* do in SPARQL. I'd
have expected that, given a backend engine that is complete with
regard to OWL, we'd have sufficient expressivity to query all
inferences that were expressed in RDF. Are they querying any
inferences that aren't RDF?

--
-eric

                        5322 Endo, Fujisawa, Kanagawa 252-8520
                        JAPAN
cell:   +1.857.222.5741 (does not work in Asia)

(eric@w3.org)
email address distribution.