Re: [jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com: Literal searching requirement]

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 10:43:10AM -0400, Kendall Clark wrote:

> >From our comments list:
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com> -----
>
> In
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-rdf-dawg-uc-20040802/
>
> I note that there is a design objective that
> [[
> 4.8 Literal Search
>
> It should be possible for a query to perform substring searches of RDF
> string literals.
> ]]
> and a requirement
> [[
> 3.3 Extensible Value Testing
> ]]
>
> but no requirement to be able to search on langtag of plain literals,
> nor the datatype of typed literals.
>
> This seems like an omission, since the langtag gives vital information
> in multilingual documents. Also it may often be useful to find all
> literals with a particular datatype.
>
> Ideally some langtag matching such as language ranges or lang tag
> fallback, as described in RFC 3066 would be best.

We can also get a use case from PICS, which, in current thinking
(according to danbri), requires beginsWith, endsWith, contains, and
matches application rules (no idea what the latter is).
--
-eric

                        5322 Endo, Fujisawa, Kanagawa 252-8520
                        JAPAN
cell:   +1.857.222.5741 (does not work in Asia)

(eric@w3.org)
email address distribution.