Re: defn binding wordy

On Fri, 2004-09-03 at 13:52, Dan Connolly wrote:
> In
> http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/rq23/#basicpatterns
>
> first we have "A binding B is a subset of V x A"

Hmm... I'm struggling with the notation

  subst(T, b in B) is a triple pattern ...

I suggest you get rid of VAR() and VAL() and just exploit
the fact that bindings are functions ala...

First we define substitution for terms and then patterns:
subst(t, B) = if t in domain(B) then B(t) else t
subst(<s,p,o>, B) = <subst(s,B), subst(p,B), subst(o,B)>

Then... regarding

"Triple Pattern T matches graph G with binding B if subst(T, B) is a
ground triple and, as a triple, is entailed by G."

I'm not sure why you say "as a triple"; entailment is defined
as a relationship between graphs, not triples and graphs. I suggest,
rather:

  ... and, as a single-triple graph, is entailed by G.